I stumbled upon this delicious (and easy) looking recipe from Coco & Ash and I had to try it! Here is the link to the original recipe: Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. I made a few of my own adaptations to their recipe so I listed it below.
3- 14.5 oz cans of Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (regular is fine, it’s just nice to skip the extra sodium)
3 heaping teaspoons minced garlic (fresh is good too, I just go for easy)
1 yellow onion diced
salt & pepper to taste- I just sprinkled some in, I’m not a BIG salt person
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (add more if you’re a basil lover like me)
1 cup heavy cream
1. Put the onion, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and garlic into the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours. I cooked this a little longer than 4 hours because I was busy with my little guy, so, I just turned the temp to low after 4 hours.
2. Add the chopped basil to the crockpot.
3. Blend (using regular blender- return to crockpot after blending) or immersion blender…. I LOVE my immersion blender.
4. Add heavy whipping cream to the crock pot and stir.
5. You can enjoy it just like this, or…
6. Make a classic grilled cheese to accompany the soup. We used sourdough bread and mixed swiss and cheddar cheeses. Some of my other favorite variations include using avocado and bacon on the grilled cheese too.
Now here is my newbie-blogger fail… I took a final pic of our soup with the delicious grilled cheese next to it but…. apparently it was a snapchat and I didn’t save it. So just picture like a perfect looking grilled cheese with tomato soup, lol.